In order to catalyze economic connectivity and facilitate infrastructure intervention from both the public and private sector, FICCI has been organizing the Northeast connectivity summit since 2014 at different states with Assam hosting the first followed by Meghalaya in 2015 and Tripura in 2016.
These summits were successful in garnering interest and engagement of senior representatives from the Government of India, the State Governments of the region, a cross section of industry, international delegations, and Multilateral agencies like the World Bank and UNESCAP. Apart from highlighting the opportunities and challenges, the summit was successful in generating a lot of fresh ideas. The private sector from India and abroad have also shown a lot of interest in investing in infrastructure in the North East
During last 3 years, NECS helped bringing into focus the opportunities in developing connectivity of North East and its associated strategic and economic advantages for the entire India. The summit has metamorphosed into a unique platform for strategic dialogue between various stakeholders including government of India, BBIN and South Asian countries, Private sector and others
Apart from highlighting the opportunities and challenges, the summits were successful in generating a lot of fresh ideas. The private sector from India and abroad, multilateral agencies and other stake holders have shown a interest in investing in infrastructure in the North East.
Key Highlights of Earlier Summits
- Engagement with delegations from countries like Japan, China, Bhutan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Singapore, Germany
- Participation of Chief Ministers and key Ministers from North East States
- Participation of Key Union Ministers and top officials of Government of India
- More than 1500 participants from a cross section of the industry in the summits
- Unveiling of four crucial FICCI reports with PWC ,KPMG and AT Kearney on North East Connectivity
- Action Agenda readied which summarise key actionables from the Summits and circulated among the key stakeholders